The world of Liam: Perl/PHP/cgi/MySQL help... don't want much, do I?? :)

The world of Liam

Er.. Liam practicing his typing in front of a possible audience of a few billion, and a probable audience of significantly less.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Monday, July 04, 2005

Perl/PHP/cgi/MySQL help... don't want much, do I?? :)

Hi all,

Anyone got a few minutes to have a quick look at this and let me know what I've got wrong??

http://www.hanworthclub.co.uk/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

The page loads from the cgi-bin, and the graphics load from their own seperate directory, so I know that at least the paths are set in the script correctly (or to be more honest, 'seem' to be). One obvious [more than a little trifling] fault though is that I can't post ads. After filling in a test add (just rubbish in all the required fields) a click of the submit button gives me a blank browser screen and no mail notification is forwarded to me as either admin or seller. From what I've seen elsewhere, the titles of each category should be live links so a potential customer can look in each category seperately. They're not live??? It could be that until an ad is actually placed in the particular category, it isn't a live link.. the html of the page doesn't show any href's for them.. but until I can get an ad in there to have a look I don't know. I've set the permissions as per the instructions for each file needed, and also for the folders that contain them, and checked them several times, both via the ftp program (WS_FTP) and also via the site's own control panel (Plesk), and they are correct.. but alas, no joy as yet.

If anyone knows what the fault could be, I'll happily send them the content of the cgi script, but I have to limit that offer to those that I know here for obvious reasons.. in that it contains background details of the site that I'd rather not be made public, and by ****ing them out, it probably defeats the issue.

On a similar note.. well it's concerning the same site anyway.. I want to build a database for competition results to be posted to. I have about one hour's tinkering knowledge of MySQL, so if, to save me spending a day or three googling for the info someone has a good tutorial site (or even one that has some ready made scripts for download) in mind that they could supply the link to, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers in advance,

Liam