The world of Liam: All things computing.

The world of Liam

Er.. Liam practicing his typing in front of a possible audience of a few billion, and a probable audience of significantly less.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Sunday, November 14, 2004

All things computing.

Hi,

well I've sorted out the harddisk problems. I used Restorer2000 Data Recovery Software 2.0 to find the important stuff.. documents etc. The trial (free) version could recover up to 64Kb per file, which was plenty for what I needed.

Job done.

This morning Oi 'ave mostly bin playin' wi' Foirefoxx.

I haven't used IE for a long time now, prefering Avant for it's speed and reliability and security and well it's just better than IE is all. But as anyone who's been near the 'net in the last few days will have seen, Mozilla has released Firefox 1.0.

Not being your average luddite, I thought I'd get it and have a look at it. Well.. err, it's a browser. It's very basic so you can go on the net without all the added bloat of IE, but there are scores of people writing all the little extensions that you'll need for more advanced surfing.. ad-blockers, TBEs (Tabbed Browsing Extensions) and a whole host of other things. I did notice one for Blogspot a bit earlier. I'll have a look at it in a bit, and review that at a later date.

So far, I've imported my bookmarks to Firefox, but the most important plugin I needed was for Roboform. If you use Roboform to store passwords for your various forums, sites, blogs etc, then the ability to use it in another browser is going to be extremely important. Can you remember every password you've ever used? Nope, nor can I. You can get the plugin for Roboform to work with Firefox, and many other browsers from here. It all works.. although as soon as you use Roboform to fill in any passwords, Firefox's own password manager grabs a copy as well. Belt and braces is a good thing.. :)

One thing I am going to have to sort out is the skin. Dull and boring are decent adjectives, and wholly apt in this case. I'm used to Avant. It's pretty yet functional, and all the useful buttons are neat, tidy and accessible. Even IE looks nicer than Firefox. This will give me something to do this afternoon. I can't possibly make it any uglier than it already is.

Cheers

Liam