The world of Liam: More Darts

The world of Liam

Er.. Liam practicing his typing in front of a possible audience of a few billion, and a probable audience of significantly less.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Sunday, July 17, 2005

More Darts

Hi all,

long suffering readers of this blog may remember my darts competition back in February, where I became the club's mens singles champ.. and very chuffed about it I was as well. :)

Last night was the mixed pairs darts competition, and Mrs Liam and I managed to win it. So I'm the concurrent holder of two darts titles now. If we can get a men's pairs competition arranged before the next biannual comp, then there's a possibility of holding the full set at the same time.. the Hanworth Club's version of a grand slam. Mind you, there is such depth of quality in the men's darts at the club, that it would be a very tall order indeed.

I'm also going to congratulate the two ladies, Kath and Di, who organised it. They're new to the committee and this was their first go at staging an event, and they did a stirling job of it.. well done both. The only criticism I have is that with myself being a long serving member of the committee, they didn't fiddle the raffle in my favour. I will have to discuss their future standing in this regard.. :)

So, with bingo in a little while, I must just tell you about my golf day, as mentioned below. As you know, I'm an enthusiastic golfer, but all that enthusiasm doesn't make the ball go any further; I was quite surprised therefore to par the first hole.. a 517 yard par 5. I then parred the third, 192 yards with a lake from tee to green. A nice little 5 iron put me pin high about 25 ft to the right..

I then played what can only be described as complete and utter rubbish for most of the rest of the game. I did salvage something (pride mainly) from the last hole though, breaking my own record for a 4 iron.. 295 yards.. a 7 seven iron from there left me with a 20 yard chip and run to the green. The hole is 511 yards, so according to the yardage chart for the hole, I hit the 7 iron 186 yards'ish. Although I don't keep a record for every shot, 'cos that would be sad, that is probably the furthest I've hit a 7 iron as well.

I still managed to muck it up though and score a seven, but my iron shots are getting longer and longer.

I came last in the end, and was awarded the society's wooden spoon. It involved the wearing of a golf jumper both for the remainder of the evening, until leaving the club house, and also for the first hole of the following event. Imagine for a minute if you will, that your great aunt Ethel has found out that you play golf, and she's got a few balls of different coloured wool lying around. Being a bit artistic she knits a picture of someone playing golf, on both the front and back of said garment in colours that would put Cecile B Demile to shame in the technicolour stakes. The only real advantage of me in particular having to wear this superb sweater is that it is meant to look big and baggy on the awardee, to add to the foolishness of it all. I'm lucky, in that you'd need one hell of a lot more wool to make anything look baggy on me. In fact it does fit rather nicely, and I'm looking forward to getting out there next time to show it off. I just hope it isn't going to be as hot as it was last Monday. It could be a bit uncomfortable.

I will add a picture to this later to show you the jumper, but as I mentioned, I have bingo to attend to now, so you'll just have to sit there in anticipation for a little longer.. oh, and as far as I know, there were no cameras present last night, so you miss out on that one.

Still, never mind, eh!!

Cheers

Liam